SC - spanish feast recipes WAS: Almond milk left overs

R. Del Boccio serian at qwest.net
Tue Apr 10 12:01:11 PDT 2001

>The degree of cleanliness that is necessary to protect the general run of
>the population from any chance of food poisoning, and what folks with
>life-threatening contact allergies seem to require (judging by comments on

>this list) are separate orders of magnitude.

Not neccisarily - Many people have bad reactions to food that are not life-threatening,
or may not even present themselves when the food is given in very small doses.
 I eat berries like they're going out of style - but, I once ate so many that
I broke out in hives.  I'm not the only person I know who had that reaction
to berries.  I don't remember how many I ate that day... but, it must have been
a whole heck of a lot, because I don't think I've slowed down my berry consumption
one bit and I've never reacted again.  Additionally, I am slightly lactose intolerant
- - I can eat a dish of ice-cream with no problem, but have to take Lactaid if
I plan to eat two slices of pizza and a dish of ice cream.  But, I know people
who are so lactose intolerant that they need take Lactaid when they use a teaspoon
of milk in their coffee.  So, food reactions are extremely varied.

>We just finished cooking a feast last weekend.  We were very careful not to

>food poison anyone, but I would not stake anybody's life on the question of

>whether a bit of food went astray, or whether a knife or cutting board was

>washed but not sterilized to its pores.

There are people who are so allergic that airbourne particles (i.e. the smell
of fish cooking, or served to the next diner over,) is enough to set of a reaction.
 So, while being as strict as reasonably possible is the least one can do out
of courtesy, it's impossible to completely ensure the safety of every diner,
sometimes even if the diner brought his needs to you before hand.  So, I wouldn't
worry about raiding your local college's materials science engineering lab for
the latest in sterilization technology.  But making sure that *all* your workers
know about any food problems that have been brought to your attention, and know
how to handle themselves accordingly, is certainly reasonable.

- -Magdalena