SC - edible flowers

Weaver8002@aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Tue Apr 10 16:09:38 PDT 2001

> > If you are after a soup, try a brodo of chickpeas.  You can
> find the recipe
> > in the Florilegium.  It is suitable for vegetarians, is
> unusual enough to be
> > interesting and tasty enough that people often find they like it.
>
> I tried to make this as a soup a while back. We found that only when
> almost all the liquid had boiled away was it a palatable
> side-dish. What's
> the secret to making it as a soup?
>
> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise

I find it works just fine as a soup.  I can think of four things which might
make it unpalatable; failing to thoroughly clean the chickpeas, not putting
in enough pepper, sage or rosemary, putting in too much sage or rosemary,
using too much flour.

When I made this, I was using fresh spices and dried herbs.  When I
originally made this, I tasted the broth regularly to see if I liked the
flavor and at one point added more pepper to improve the taste.

I've made this several times without problem.

Bear