OT - Re: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #3085

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Wed Apr 11 00:36:28 PDT 2001

Allison wrote:

>Can't help with the quinces, but would you ask the lady to send us her
>murri recipe, please?
>I have the Miscelleny recipe for fake murri, but don't like scorched
>bread or honey or anything else.  Since that recipe doesn't call for
>quinces, she may have a different recipe.

That recipe does call for quince (along with almost everything else
but the kitchen sink), so I suspect it is the same one.

I would suggest that you try making the fake murri anyway. I don't
like scorched bread (and what I use for this recipe is in fact bread
over-toasted until little wisps of smoke are coming out tof the
toaster), but the end result does not taste particularly like the
scorched bread--it is a very complex and strong flavor, which makes
sense when you look at everything else that goes into it. I wouldn't
want to eat the fake murri straight, but it makes a wonderful
marinade and/or flavoring for meat, as it is used in some of the
Islamic recipes.

If you want to do it this time of year, you may have to substitute
tart apples for the quinces--the result comes out similar, and apples
are available year-round, unlike quinces.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook