SC - garlic rapes

Nelson Beth grdygirl at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 06:58:25 PDT 2001

Greetings,

I am cooking a feast in Atlantia in a couple of weeks (April 28th to be
exact).  When I cook there in the Barony of Bright Hills, they always ask for
2 things, my mushroom pie and a turnip dish which follows:

Apple Turnips

     This recipe serves 70 gentles

     17 lbs. Turnips
     2 cups butter
     1/2 lb brown sugar
     Apple Cider enough to cover turnips (approx 2-4 gal)
     Cinnamon to taste

Cut turnips to bite size pieces. Cover with cider, add the
butter and brown sugar and mix well. Simmer for 45 minutes to
1 hour. Stir gently to ensure turnips are cooked evenly. When
finished, put turnips in serving bowls ( or whatever ) and
add some of the sauce that they cooked in (do not completely
cover ) and then sprinkle with cinnamon.

If you ever get the chance, try this dish.  You still won't get many who will
eat turnips, but among those who do, they really like this recipe.

Baron Cahan Kyle, OP