SC - Nebraska's Proud Medieval Heritage (OP)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 12:11:57 PDT 2001

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> --- Bonne of Traquair <oftraquair at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> <DIV>I lack access to FoC and LM, are these recipes in
> the Florilegium?  ( I be they are.  I'll
> drag myself over there and look. )</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>Bonne<
>
> I don't know, but here is a website for FoC directly.
> You should bookmark it.
>
> http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/foc/

The recipe in The Forme of Cury is for Compost --

> Here is a website for LM.  Bookmark it also.
>
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html

The process in LM begins with the words, in English, "Take 500 new
nuts"... it describes soaking them to remove tannins and other
theoretical nasties, then speaks of studding them with spices and
preserving them in a honey/mustard/wine sauce similar to Compost and
various other, similar recipes, then goes on to describe how you add
various other fruts and vegetables as they come into their harvest
season, so essentially your preserve pot never empties.

> I hope that you will get well soon.

Me, too. I seem to recall immature black walnuts preserved in heavy
syrup are a great throat soother, FWIW. Maybe almonds might do well, too.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com