SC - Re: wied things in your dairy case

Steve s.mont at verizon.net
Fri Apr 13 19:58:24 PDT 2001

> KarenO wrote:
>

>     At the grocery store today I spied a  strange thing ; "non fat
> half & half"  the label proudly boasted  "no oil added"   Isn't this
> what one calls an oxymoron?   I can understand  enriched skim milk
> (milk solids added to skim milk)  but what kind of critter is "non-fat
> half & half?"

Probably some kind of unspeakable substitute for light cream, suitable
for coffee, etc. Looking a bit at the ingredients found in that other
anomaly of the dairy case, non-fat sour cream (which, BTW, has as many
calories as the real thing, if not more, just less saturated fat), I
would guess nfh&h to contain some combination of skimmed milk with,
perhaps, milk solids and perhaps an emulsifier or two to keep it thick
in the absence of good old emulsified butterfat.

At what point in the rapidly decelerating dignity and quality of life
does living a few extra years become pointless? "Well, Divine
Providence, you see, I lasted that few extra years because I only used
nonf--- um, excuse me, Lord, what are you laughing so hysterically at?"

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com