SC - Hey Stefan!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 14 00:51:55 PDT 2001

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Well, I blame this all on the list members who were rhapsodizing so
> blissfully a few months ago about the wonders of homemade mayonnaise
> (yes, Master A, I think this includes you <g>)....

Well, if it didn't, allow me to make up for lost time and say... well...
you know ;  ) .

I'm so proud! Sniffle!

> I've come over from the other side (the Miracle Whip lovers), and made
> my first aioli, and it's wonderful.  Has a texture somewhere between a
> very soft butter and commercial mayonnaise, but without the stiffness of
> the commercial product....At any rate, since it's made with raw egg
> yolks, how long will it keep? And what all can I put it on, besides the
> cold meat and potatoes suggested in _Joy of Cooking_?

Well, if refrigerated, it should keep for at least a week, tightly
sealed and with perhaps a piece of plastic film pressed down on the
upper surface to keep air off it. If it begins to break (demulsify) in
storage, check it every other day or so and give it a good stir to
remix. If you start to get little oil droplets on the surface it is much
more likely to break and turn into broken vinaigrette with egg and garlic.

> --Maire, New Convert to the Right And True Sauce (currently sitting on
> The Rock, swinging her legs, and eating fresh, steamed asparagus dipped
> in aioli <g>)

Let's see... cold meat. Cold potatoes. Salt cod (YUM!) Halved
hard-boiled eggs. Mixed with the yolks for stuffed eggs, with perhaps a
few strands of saffron mixed in. Asparagus. Stuffed tomatoes (cold).
Grilled shrimp. Warm steamed broccoli. Swirled into tomato soup or fish
soup. The possibilities are, well, about as endless as with garlic,
lemon, and olive oil.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy