SC - Green Almonds - challenge

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 14 01:17:27 PDT 2001

Adamantius commented on another using a name close to the Florilegium:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > > Did you know that there is a gentle using Florigieum @Aol.com  as there
> > > name. This gentle is on the scribes list and is in the East kingdom. A
> > > relative of yours?
> >
> > This is the first I've heard of this. Was it spelled the way you
> > spelled it above or as in my sig line below? Either way, it isn't
> > something I have control over. In fact when I registered florilegium.org
> > there was already a flower shop using florilegium.com.
>
> I thought about mentioning this at the time (yesterday?), but I suspect
> that in the final analysis, a scribe has about as much reason to use the
> word "florilegium" for his output as an archivist does, no matter how
> well or how widely respected, and we don't know how long he's been at
> it, do we?

Correct. I said I have no control over this, which is true. What would
have been more correct, would have been to say I'm not that concerned
over it. It's not trademarked or anything. As I mentioned, it was
already being used by a mundane flower shop.

Thank you for the compliment.

> I mean, isn't a florilegium an actual, physical book written
> and illsutrated in a number of styles? I seem to remember when Stefan's
> Florilegium was so named, it being formerly known as what, The Rialto
> Archives or some such?

That is correct. Although I started accumilating stuff in 89 or so, I
don't think the Rialto Archives or Rialto Files (my preferred name then,
as it never was a complete archive of the Rialto) got used until 91 or 92.
In 97 I wanted something else to signify that much of the material was
now coming from sources other than the Rialto (rec.org.sca). The Miscellany
was already being used, and while I doubt it was trademarked, I saw no
reason to infringe on the reputation that Master Cariadoc had already
built with that name. At least that is easy to remember and spell. :-)

The suggestion for "Florilegium" and the definition I've been using
came from Sir Lyonell here in Ansteorra, who unfortunately is no
longer playing in the SCA due to I think politics. Anyway, the
definition is:
Florilegium - (literally, "a gathering of flowers").  In medieval times,
Florilegia were collections of choice tidbits (from Ovid, Aristotle,
various
popes, church scholars, etc) arranged topically. Typically, a
florilegium is
huge, encyclopedic, and contains only choice selections from particular works.

> I'd be very surprised to find that this is anything other than an
> innocent use of a name that this other user thinks is his own, unique, idea.

I agree.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net