SC - Reparte

Radigan Leoncouer leoncouer at lycos.com
Sun Apr 15 00:52:59 PDT 2001

Leoncouer asked:
>  Devon cream.
> Has anyone here tried it? Is it as good as the brits allude?
> And, can we recreate it here/  I mean, are there period recipes for it?

We have discussed various creams and dairy products on this list before and
I believe Devon cream was one of them. I can't remember if there was
evidence for it being period or not.

Check this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
dairy-prod-msg    (77K)  9/28/00    Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.

> Also..Plum pudding?  Does anyone know where I can obytain a receipe for doing a more fruity version?
> I have come across several..but they were of a  more meaty derivation..an excellent pasty mayhap but not a good dessert.

"Plum" did not necessarily mean the plum fruit. It is used in this
case as a more general term for fruit. Anyway, I think you will find
some of the past discussions in this file in the FOOD section:
puddings-msg      (65K) 12/20/00    Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.

I think there are also some pudding recipes/info in this file:
organ-meats-msg   (85K) 11/ 3/00    Period cooking of organ meats.

What was and was not included in the term "pudding" seems to have
changed throughout period and afterwards. Makes it rather difficult
to put them in one file, so they are sort of spread around. :-(

There is also this file:
White-Mash-art     (8K) 11/20/99    A white pudding from the
Harpestraeng
                                       manuscript by Elysant de Holtham.

Combining fruits and meats was a common element in much of period
cooking.

You might also enjoy some of the files in the FOOD-FRUIT section.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net