SC - Anti meat sympathies

grizly@mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 15 13:12:54 PDT 2001

>No, all persons are not expected to participate in every SCA
>activity, however, they certainly should have the option of
>doing so.

I'm sorry, there goes one of -my- buttons.

While I more than agree with the principles on site accessibility in the
rest of your response to Ras' comment, do you really mean that, in actual
practice, the heavy fighters should be required to include the
wheelchair-mobile in the lists?

<RANT ON>
In my Kingdom, boffers have been turned into a highly regulated and
regimented operation, complete with Kingdom level officers and all the
attendant bureaucracy, I believe because one person with a delicate child
wanted him to be able to play.

Instead of getting her child a helmet, the PCers took off, and now
"playing" with boffers is no longer allowed.  It's all competition level,
"training to be fighters", helmets, ADULT marshals, etc.  No more just
playing among 6-yr olds with lengths of plumbing-pipe-insulation foam or
swimming-pool float foam, which is about the weight and degree of
stiffness of the old fashioned boffers I recall.

Now when my 8 yr old goes to events, he doesn't even know about boffing,
because it never happens... little kids have to have all the equipment,
round up grown-ups to marshal (and I don't think just anyone can, it may
have to be official boffer marshals).  (Well, it's possible that the kids
don't have to have personal equipment, but rather the kingdom officers
have to have been asked to bring the official loaner gear???)  One event
when he was 6 he even had strange adults yelling at him for just running
around with his brand new (but non-regulation) boffer sword & shield,
looking for kids to play with -- no other kids were even involved at the
point he got yelled at!
<RANT OFF>

It's no longer the Society I "grew up" in, and sometimes that's good, and
sometimes it's a pain in the fundament!

Chimene the Antique Grump
(Fast closing in on the 25th anniversary of my intro to the Society, 8-)