Subject: SC - coring fruit - sca-cooks V1 #3092

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 15 22:37:03 PDT 2001

(in fact, none of the pears in syrup type recipes I've seen
>call for coring
> > > the pear, which is odd).
>
> > They may have not cored the pear at all; the Czech vet at work always
>eats
> > his apple/pear, core and all. I also remember reading in
>_Pinniccio_,(the
> > book not the Disney version) that Gepedo warns his "son" to eat all of
>the
> > pear, including the core, since he might not have anything else to eat.
>
>---- <more snip> ----
>
>My husband, who is from Germany, also eats his winter fruits core and all.
>The only thing left of an apple or pear is the stem.  It irks him that I
>waste so much of my fruit.  I just give it to him when there's not much
>left
>and we're both happy :)

By comparison, my Scot/British husband leaves the seeds and bit of husky
material surrounding them, and the stem.  Extravagantly wasteful of him,
evidently!

Bonne (I pass on what he considers 'half the apple' to him when I reach what
I consider the 'unedible core')