Predators as food...was :Re: SC - Wolves are our cute furry friends..

WyteRayven@aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 07:52:04 PDT 2001

     My great aunt was based in Africa with the state dept (she was the very
first female CIA station chief, and the only one to make the cover of Time
magazine), and she said that hippos were the single most dangerous creature
she'd ever run across. They're extremely territorial and very aggressive,
and while they look like Miss Piggy on steroids, they are nasty tempered
critters. She also said that the crocs were a serious danger in the north,
but that even a pride of lions would think twice or thrice before taking on
an adult hippo. She related a time where she saw a hippo kill a half dozen
women & girls who were washing clothes by the riverbank, apparently because
they were too close to its turf ( or stretch of water, or whatever...) She
said it charged out of the water, had everyone pretty well stomped into toe
jam in about 5 seconds, and was back in the river before anyone could even
raise an alarm.
    Since they're very nasty and have no great market value, the poachers
leave them alone while wiping out anything that could keep their numbers
under control - as a result, I'm told there is a population boom among
hippos. This is seriously interfering with light river traffic throughout
the interior, which is putting another hurtin' on that already beleaguered
continent.

    Sieggy