SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #3099

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 16 13:19:29 PDT 2001

Ok, I'd never tasted lentils before I joined the SCA. but recently I've been testing
out recipes for lentil dishes for a project of Sarah bat Mordecai's, and I find that I'm
very enthusiastic about them... especially if I get to put spices in the lentil soup like
things. I tried the lentil dish in The Medieval Kitchen, but wasn't quite happy with it
(even though I put carrots in it)-- though I ate lots of it (get up, go to the bathroom,
detour into the kitchen, pour myself a cup of lentil soup, wander back to bed, drink
lentil soup, wipe lentils off nose, wander back to kitchen to put cup in sink, end up
coming back with more soup, repeat...)
I also tried the Muzawwara dish from the Miscellany, but again, I put Carrots in it --
apologies, your grace (I bought Kale by mistake, and it wasn't sweet enough).

1) Tell me all about Lentils! How common were they outside the Muslim regions? What other
good recipes exist? Are there any Lentil addict support groups?

2) I know that adding carrots to these lentil dishes makes them only periodoid. However,
the question is, is this possible, or extremely implausible? did places with lentils also
have carrots?
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net