SC - Non-member submission - RE: Special needs

Rovena rovena at softdisk.com
Mon Apr 16 19:33:05 PDT 2001

Christine Seelye-King wrote:

> A friend recently sent me this recipe and asked me a question about it.  It
> calls for toasted chickpeas.  She has dried chickpeas, and wondered what to
> do with them.   Roasting the dried chickpeas and then grinding them into a
> flour?  Re-hydrating them and then toasting them?  She ultimately used
> sesame seeds instead and had them with her this weekend. They were very
> good, but we are still wondering about those garbanzos.
> Anyone?

All I can say is I've seen dry-roasted chick peas, more or less akin to
dry-roasted nuts, and the process seems to leave them more brittle, and
less tough (less likely to break teeth) than dried chick peas. Whether
they're made from dried peas or fresh, I don't know, but if it were me
I'd go looking for them in a Middle Eastern market or by mail order.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com