SC - "Fake" ypocras

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Apr 17 02:40:56 PDT 2001

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Hmm. If this is the case then, should we not consider it a natural
> variation, as opposed to 'disability' per se? The numbers approach the
> point where they are not so much of a statistical minority. None among
> us is perfect...
>
> 'Lainie

That sounds reasonable.  A disability is defined in part by
law as a condition condition that affects one or more major
areas of life, such as working, walking, dressing, etc.
When you add up all the people with the visible conditions
like blindness and wheelchair use, add those who those with
hidden disabilities like heart conditions and diabetes and
stress related disorders and chronic fatigue and allergies
and asthma, you have a lot of people. The statistic of
around 20% does not include the aging population.

Things that make life easier for people with physical
variations are also useful for those considered by society
as "normal" or "able bodied."  How many people in cumbersome
garments have used accessible potties?  How many people
would rather carry a throne up a ramp than stairs?  How many
people appreciate places that do not require you to walk up
and down a flight of steep stairs every time you change
activities?  How many people like those automatic doors when
their arms are full of shopping?  How many like having curb
cuts, especially if they have a stroller or luggage cart?

Something really useful to the list is that we can help each
other make adaptations that can help us be better cooks.  In
other words, if you're having trouble doing something in the
kitchen because of your disability, some of us may have
helpful ideas to try.  Someone, Tristan, I believe,
mentioned having trouble working with high stoves.  I've
been an independent living instructor, and I or someone else
may have helpful ideas.  Some of the things I do as a blind
person might help those who have trouble seeing at "cooking
distance."

In Service,