OT Storytelling (was Re: SC - "Fake" ypocras)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 17 16:22:06 PDT 2001

On 16 Apr 01,, Rosalyn MacGregor wrote:

> Recently, I began exploring the cheesecake idea. In Stephen's Florigieum
> there are some good pointers. However, they all use ricotta cheese. What
> other soft cheese would have been made in period?

Ricotta is a whey cheese -- that is, it is made by re-cooking the
liquid whey that is a by-product of cheesemaking.  For
cheesecake, you could use "new" cheese.  Farmer cheese or
queso fresco would do, I think.  You could even make your own --
soft cheese can be made very easily, without special equipment.
The main difference between one soft cheese and another is the
kind of milk it's made from, and the fat content.  Goat milk will give
you a different taste than cow.  And some of the soft cheese
recipes call for milk + cream.

And don't forget to look in the Florilegium.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net