SC - Opinions?

margali margali at 99main.com
Thu Apr 19 18:04:24 PDT 2001

> Remember, Bear, she was talking Ealdormere, which is a different set of
> laws than we have down here.

So noted, but the statement was "Corpora says" and it ain't so.

> We had that in a group I was on back in the Midrealm.  We were just too
> entirely good at fundraising, <clipped>
>
> Nobody told us we had to get rid of the money, but we looked around and
> said "there's no point in just piling up more."  We tithed to Kingdom, we
> bought armor and list supplies, we stocked our medikit so well they are
> probably still using the stuff, we bought A&S supplies and had a teacher
> come in for a workshop.

That's good financial management.  And the fact that excess profits were
expended on furthering the SCA's goals by the group's decision says that the
group had a healthy outlook on its treasury.

> Of course, last-minute weather can play games with the attendance, as can
> other factors.  While you cannot do anything about weather, you can learn
> from problems (should we have said "once the warlord tourney is over,
> there will be other fighting scenarios until suppertime"?  "the arts of
> war as well as the arts of peace will be taught in classes at Artisan"?
> "free lunch for the first 100 persons through gate"?) and hopefully things
> will go better next time.
>
>                             ---= Morgan

I've been there.  The first feast I did was for an Althing and excessively
bad weather and a major event further South put a real crimp in the
attendance.  Fortunately, I had planned for a profit of about $90 to defray
some of our other expenses and between the food and the beer managed to make
$1.86.

> PS:  You know, we can all stop bidding AGAINST each other, gang up, and
> buy the Platina.  Near as I can decipher, the bidders on that item are
> almost all members of this list.  Play nice, people!

It doesn't matter until the reserve price is met and I didn't see it posted.

Bear