SC - Opinions?

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Fri Apr 20 06:17:42 PDT 2001

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa said:

>Related to Stefan's question, I'm not sure it's much more fair for the
>cost of the Royal
>food or other special food to come out of the site fee versus the feast
>fee. Now, there
>is a sentiment in my kingdom that people working the event should get fed
>specially, so
>Royalty probably comes under that, along with Troll, MOL, feast cooks, etc.

Now there's a trend I'd hate to see come into play. I thought one of the
ideas behind the SCA is that everyone participates and that includes work.
If you feed constables, cooks,  and royalty to begin with, it leads to
servers, heralds, artisans, whatever. Just because someone is sitting down
to dinner, doesn't mean they haven't already worked their tails off in some
other area or have given themselves permission to relax at this specific
event. If you start waiving fees to workers, it becomes not only
subjective, but eventually won't leave many people to pay anything.

I've been head cook and kitchen help at many an event in my 20+ years, and
I've always paid my fee. It covers the cost of the food (and sometimes the
entertainment). We have sometimes fed servers free, and the occasional
bard, but they were usually fairly-broke college student types that might
not have been able to come otherwise.

At least, that's my 2 cents...

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     morgana at gci.net
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     I saw nothing unusual in the teacher's
and a decrescent argent.        *          lounge. --Bart Simpson