SC - Ebay listing for Platina

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 07:11:22 PDT 2001

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Thorbjorn

> Unless you have Fairly wealthy members ready to
> donate the site fee, you can't possibly break even for the event let
> alone the feast.

So, in these cases, how does your group stay financially viable?  Are there
simply enough reserves to keep going for the moment?

My understanding (which is limited, I avoid meetings!) is that, here in Ynys
Fawr, we need most of our feasts to make money or at least break even just
to keep our heads above water (and to be able to afford to put on the next
feast) - and I think they generally do at least break even.

Most of our official events here are feasts - and we never have an
"off-board" rate at these.  At some of our rare weekend events one can
choose not to attend the feast and, clearly, not be charged for it.  If one
attends the feast, one pays for the whole feast - with concession rates
taken into consideration, of course.  As well, with some of the autocrats
here, it is sometimes possible for the poverty-stricken to negotiate a lower
price.  They would still get the feast.  It is not common practice to waive
feast fees for servers (and not, I think, even for all the full-time kitchen
staff - those who are in the kitchen for the whole event) or entertainers.

Gwynydd