SC - probably a legal question...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 20 19:52:38 PDT 2001

Jenne Heise wrote:

> I'm having trouble finding this information on the web: for a dayboard, can we buy and
> hardboil the eggs 7 days ahead of time and store them, unpeeled under normal household
> refrigeration until then, and still be within the food safety guidelines, assuming the
> sell-by date on the cartons is more than 7 days away?

They should be okay, if refrigerated the entire time. I don't know that
I'd want to keep them longer than that, but if it is estimated that the
eggs have a week-long shelf-life raw, they should be okay for that time,
or longer, if cooked.

> Oh, and if you don't have a walk-in fridge, how do you handle cooling down large amounts
> of soup enough to make it safe to pour into freezer containers or put the pot in the
> fridge?

Apart from the previously mentioned trick of breaking it down into
smaller containers to cool, another effective trick is to put the pot
into a sinkful of cold, running water, preferably draining about as fast
as the water can enter via the faucet. Obviously running water into your
soup is to be avoided, unless you like it really bland. Stir
periodically until it gets down to about blood-warm temp. When I worked
for the Continental Club I actually talked them into buying me a
homebrewer's cooling tube (kinda like a copper condensor helix from a
still, except the cold water runs through the inside and cools what's
outside), for things like chicken stock. That was a fun gizmo to have,
and no amount of thrift on my part would have enabled them to make
money, anyway, as the place was a tax dodge for Continental Insurance,
anyway. It wasn't _supposed_ to make money. ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com