[Fwd: SC - Manual de Mujeres at Queen's Prize]

R. Del Boccio serian at qwest.net
Sat Apr 21 06:26:47 PDT 2001

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Stefan li Rous

> So are pickles (pickled cucumbers) not common there? Maybe cucumbers
> don't grow well there? Or were they just not common on hamburgers?

Pickled cucumbers exist here (and cucumbers grow fairly well here, I think),
however, until McDonalds came along I don't think that gerkins were often
put onto hamburgers - but I could be wrong.  However, I do have a feeling
that my grandmother did serve gerkins with meals, in the same way that
beetroot would be served.  Again, I could be wrong!

It was suggested that the beetroot we have here is not actually pickled - it
may not be in the strictest sense of the word, but it is canned in vinegar
and spices which gives it an acidic quality.  In fact, the first time I
cooked my own beetroot, I was at least a bit surprised that it was so sweet
*smile*

> Sounds like that canned cranberry stuff that you get in the can here,
> that you slide out of the can and then slice for holiday meals. Blech.

It comes pre-sliced - in fact, I have a strange, tall, rectangular container
which contains a pull-up strainer specifically for beetroot.  One pulls the
strainer up and the liquid drains off the beetroot to make getting it out
easier. *smile*

Gwynydd