SC - Food restrictions at feasts

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 22:00:26 PDT 2001

Balthazar of Blackmoor commented:
> If you do happen to get a glimpse of this book, could
> you do me a huge favor and check out the binding?  Of
> particular interest to me is the material used for the
> cover boards (quarter split wood, I would imagine),
> and the stitching used to hold the sections together.
> I have been using waxed linen thread on my books,
> which gives it a period look, but I'd sure like to see
> what the "real deal" is using....

As someone commented, there is no guarentee that this book is still
in its original binding, at least until you get a good look at it.

I'm not sure much research you've done on period bookbinding, so your
knowledge may already surpass what I can add to it, but there is this
small file in the SCRIBAL ARTS section of the Florilegium:
bookbinding-msg    (3K)  5/18/00    Binding and covering books in period style.

I also know I have some additional information to add to this file. If
there is interest I'll push to get that done. I've also been to one
bookbinding class and have seen others listed in class lists, so there
are folks in the SCA doing this.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net