SC - Weird but cool kitchen gadgets

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Apr 24 06:01:24 PDT 2001

> There's another ingredient here that I think you may need to be
> concerned with if you want the ingredients to be period for pre-1600
> Europe and I think that is the allspice.
> It was my understanding that allspice is a New World spice. I'm not
> sure when it became commonplace in Europe, especially in England.

Yup, you would be right, Stefan. The Encyclopedia Britannica sez, "The first record of
its import to Europe is from 1601."

However, replacing allspice is relatively trivial, since the taste is a combination of
nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. Add some grated nutmeg, a bit more cinnamon & cloves, and
omit the allspice.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net