SC - SERVERS

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Apr 24 10:05:47 PDT 2001

 The second indispensible item for SCA use is a recipe conversion
> wheel. It easily converts measured amounts in multiples, so I
> don't have to
> do the math (and we all know how bad Aoife is at math in any variety). To
> quote Calvin (and Hobbes), "I think I'm a Math Agnostic".  So It's a
> brainsaver for me.
>
> Cheers
>
> Aoife

	Ah, mine is a "Recipe Ralph".  It has a picture of a clever little fellow
(one presumes this is Ralph) and it does the conversions for serving sizes
and measurements.  Wonderful thing.  Ok, other wierd kitchen appliances:
cookie cutter that has roughly 2 dozen shapes in it, measures about 1.5 feet
across and 1 foot wide, some of the shapes are obvious (christmas trees,
candles, stars) some are kindof obvious (I think this one is Mary holding
the baby Jesus, maybe it's Santa with his pack), and some are just plain odd
(reindeer? the cresch?).  I have some great things my dad's company sent out
as advertising gimicks, if you didn't know what it was, you were supposed to
call the company.  The one I use the most is a stick shaped vaguely like a
fish, with hooks in front and back, it is for hooking onto hot oven racks
and pulling or pushing them in and out of the oven.  Of course, there's the
zester/channel knife, can't do garde manger without it, and the knife-like
thing that weighs over 2 pounds, has an edge, a tenderizer, a prying prong,
and even a bottle opener in the middle of the 'blade'.  It's great for
pounding things with.  What about a bottle opener that has a needle that
gets stuck into the cork, and a plunger chamber that pumps air into the
bottle, forcing the cork out via pressure?
	Tupperware is a great source for this kind of stuff, I too have the shaker
jar, the citrus peeler and a shrimp peeler/deveiner, and the hamburger patty
press set-up (comes in handy for those baronial champion cookouts).
	Most of the really esoteric stuff is still downstairs from the re-model, if
I haven't used it this year, it hasn't made it upstairs yet.  (Doesn't mean
I'm not going to use it, just because I haven't used something in over a
year does *NOT* mean I'm getting rid of it!)
	I try to keep the gadgetry to a minimun, as I have limited space, but every
once in a while I do see something too good to pass up.  Like the 10 gallon
enamel pot with the big brass spigot on the side of it.  I love that pot.
;)
	Christianna