SC - Weird but cool kitchen gadgets

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue Apr 24 12:47:45 PDT 2001

Because one of  the fun groups I enjoy visiting is the high school group
know as Caer Gelin. And I enjoy working with any children, this story of the
Trough replays in my mind when I see the kids working feast.
Caer Gelin has an event this weekend 28 April.
http://acorn.atlantia.sca.org/0104/spring_revel.htm

Having read about 'grabbing the left-overs' , it reminds me of a story in my
'not-so' mundane family history, called "Children of the Trough".  Actual
time about 1545, they were orphans left over after highland raids by the
Earl of Huntley. About a year after those raids, Lord James Grant, third of
Freuchie [ 1528-1553] witnessed the feeding of table scraps, after a feast,
to the orphans. He offered to take home half the children, as he had been
one of the leaders with Huntley on these raids ordered by the Crown. They
were spread about the Grant lands and became known as "Grants of the
Trough".

Interesting note ! Its during *this* Grant's time that the term 'valedicet'
was recorded and used to denote "ye Clan of Grauntis", so using the
referring to a "clan" is period.