SC - on table menus

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Apr 24 18:44:49 PDT 2001

In lists.sca.sca-cooks, you wrote:
>> And while we're at it, here's another fantastic soup, and this one
>uses
>> ingredients available in the medieval period!  I got it from a Swedish
>> friend who had sent me a bottle of booze they call "punsch" and he
>told
>> me this was the traditional soup to eat while drinking the booze.
>
>> 1 tablespoon or more of hot mustard (I use most of a small jar, maybe
>> about 3 spoons?  2 would be good, I think.  Get the really hot
>
>Forgive my stupidity here, but how is this period?

Well, the original recipe I was given just said "mustard", which I took
to be mustard in jars.  My swedish friend says he uses the seed style,
but I prefer the hot english or a mixture of the two.  Now, mustard in
jars is just made of mustard seeds, vinegar, and some other bits and
pieces, all of which were available in medieval europe.

I *know* it's not an authentic medieval recipe, but was just making a
weak joke recognising that the constituent ingredients were at least
*available* even if not recorded as having been put together in that
way.

K.

- --
Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - skud at infotrope.net - http://infotrope.net/