SC - Weird but cool kitchen gadgets

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 12:02:50 PDT 2001

>I sometimes see coconuts in the grocery here. What is the best way to
>'open' a coconut to get at the inside? A big hammer? A saw? Does
>it vary depending upon whether the coconut is green or brown and
>hairy (I assume the last is ripe or past ripe and the former is
>not, and probably not available in my area). Do the brown hairy
>ones have coconut milk in them or it is just 'meat' by then?
>
>I was going to ask whether coconuts were known in period in Europe.
>Then I looked in my nuts-msg file and found that, surprisingly to me,
>they were.
>
>Stefan li Rous

I am assuming you are speaking of the already hulled coconuts.  The not
hulled ones are rather large and more or less three sided.  If you are
talking about those ignore what I am about to write and re-state.

The little round brown coconuts with three little "eyes" on one end should
have a sloshing sound when you shake them.  If they don't they are very old
and won't be nearly as good.  Generally you would drive an ice-pick or
screwdriver or corkscrew through the "eyes" and drain the liquid into a
glass.  Then bang the coconut open with a hammer.  I place them partially
wrapped in a towel and put in a close fitting box or castiron pot to break
them open.  Less chance of shell and meat going flying all over the room.
The fresher the coconut (if it has milk in it) the easier it is to remove
from the shell.  The milk can be used in any number of ways but I usually
just find a thimble of rum and drink it.
Olwen who used to shake them from trees and bust them on rocks