SC - In search of gadget...

R. Del Boccio serian at qwest.net
Wed Apr 25 14:40:48 PDT 2001

- --============_-1223889080==_ma============

>Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> [2001.04.16] wrote:
>>  You know, period cookery stuff.
>
>Ok, since you insist and nag. :-)
>
>I recently got my hands on a (borrowed) copy of Veirups "Til taffel hos Kon=
>Valdemar" (Systime A/S, Viborg, Denmark, 1994). This is supposedly the
>oldest surviving European cookbook (dated to 1300). Any comments?
>
>In particular I'm looking at the camelina recipie (though it calles it
>"h=E6rr=E6 sals=E6" -- "lords sauce" -- it is to my mind pretty clearly a
>camelina). Apart from the usual camelina spices (cloves, nutmeg, pepper,
>cinnamon, and ginger) it also has cardamons. Has anyone seen that in any
>other camelina recipie?
>
>The original recipie:
>
>Quomodo temperetur salsum dominorum et quam diu durat
>Man skal tak=E6 g=F8rf=E6rs nathla=E6. oc muskat. cardemomum. piper. cinamo=
mum
>th=E6t =E6r kani=E6l. oc ingif=E6r. all=E6 i=E6fn w=E6ghn=E6. tho swa at=
 kani=E6l =E6r =E6m
>myk=E6t sum all=E6 hin=E6 andr=E6. oc slyk tu stekt br=F8th sum all=E6 hin=
=E6 andr=E6.
>oc st=F8t=E6 th=E6m alla sam=E6n. oc mal=E6 m=E6th st=E6rk =E6dyk=E6 oc=
 lat=E6 .i. en
>legh=E6l. That =E6r h=E6rr=E6 sals=E6. oc =E6r goth et halft aar.
>
>I *think* I got it typed in correctly... and all email readers can
>handle ISO 8859-1 these days, can't they?
>
>/UlfR

We have done this one repeatedly, and we use it as a preserving
technique, not as a cameline sauce. We got the recipe as an English
translation of a Latin original in "An Old Icelandic Medical
Miscelleny", but I'm pretty sure it is the same recipe. Below is what
we have in the Miscellany; the word in the title translated "Salt" is
salsum in Latin, which I am told is "salt" in classical Latin but
"sauce" in medieval Latin, so take your pick.

There is an article, by the way, on this whole set of related
manuscripts: Rudolf Grewe, "An Early XIII Century Northern-European
Cookbook", in Proceedings of A Conference on Current Research in
Culinary History: Sources, Topics, and Methods. Published by the
Culinary Historians of Boston, 1986.
- ----------
Lord's Salt
  Icelandic p. 215/D1

One shall take cloves and mace, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, ginger an
equal weight of each except cinnamon, of which there shall be just as
much as of all the others, and as much baked bread as all that has
been said above. And he shall cut it all together and grind it in
strong vinegar; and put it in a cask. That is their salt and it is
good for half a year.

How to Make Use of the Salt Spoken of Above
  Icelandic p. 215/D1

When a man wants to use of this salt, he shall boil it in a pan over
coals without flame. Then he shall take venison of hart or roe and
carefully garnish with fat and roast it. And cut it up well burned;
and when the salt is cold than the meat shall be cut up therein with
a little salt. Then it can lie for three weeks. So a man may long
keep geese, ducks, and other game if he cuts them thin. This is the
best salt the gentry have. [end of original]

1 t cloves
1 1/8 t mace
1/2 T cardamom (measured whole)
1 3/16 t pepper
1 1/2 t ginger
1 T + 2 t cinnamon
2 T + 2 t breadcrumbs
2 c strong vinegar
1 t salt

Grind cardamom and mix all spices together. (This quantity is 2 g of
all spices except the cinnamon, of which there is 10 g; it adds up to
3 1/2 T total.) To use, add 1 t of salt to the spice mixture, the
breadcrumbs and the vinegar, simmer it briefly, cool it, then mix it
in with your meat and close up the container.  This quantity will
preserve a 2 c container of cooked, sliced meat or fowl (1 to 1 1/2
lb).

We tried this recipe in order to have a way of storing meat without
refrigeration for long events, such as Pennsic. In our experience,
meat preserved this way keeps several weeks without refrigeration; we
have done so repeatedly without health problems, but see warning
below. The meat tastes strongly of the vinegar and spices when you
rinse off the preserving mixture; we generally use the meat in
recipes that call for vinegar and then leave out the vinegar.

Ordinary vinegar is 5%, which is just barely strong enough, so we
normally mix it with stronger vinegar ("75 grain" or 7.5%) from a
gourmet food store.

Warning! Preserving foods can be dangerous; if you experiment with
this recipe, be careful. According to our researches, either using
vinegar of at least 5% acidity or boiling for 15 minutes before
eating will protect you from botulism; we strongly advise doing both.
We take no responsibility for the result of trying this recipe;
before doing so, you may want to read up on methods and hazards of
preserving food.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook

- --============_-1223889080==_ma============

 --></style><title>Re: Dansk kogebog A: haerrae salsae (was: SC - On
<countgunthar at hotmail.com> [2001.04.16] wrote:<br>
> You know, period cookery stuff.<br>
Ok, since you insist and nag. :-)<br>
I recently got my hands on a (borrowed) copy of Veirups "Til
taffel hos Kong<br>
Valdemar" (Systime A/S, Viborg, Denmark, 1994). This is
supposedly the<br>
oldest surviving European cookbook (dated to 1300). Any comments?<br>
In particular I'm looking at the camelina recipie (though it calles
it<br>
"h=E6rr=E6 sals=E6" -- "lords sauce" -- it is to
my mind pretty clearly a<br>
camelina). Apart from the usual camelina spices (cloves, nutmeg,
pepper,<br>
cinnamon, and ginger) it also has cardamons. Has anyone seen that in
any<br>
other camelina recipie?<br>
The original recipie:<br>
Quomodo temperetur salsum dominorum et quam diu durat<br>
Man skal tak=E6 g=F8rf=E6rs nathla=E6. oc muskat. cardemomum. piper.
cinamomum<br>
th=E6t =E6r kani=E6l. oc ingif=E6r. all=E6 i=E6fn w=E6ghn=E6. tho swa
at kani=E6l =E6r =E6m<br>
myk=E6t sum all=E6 hin=E6 andr=E6. oc slyk tu stekt br=F8th sum
all=E6 hin=E6 andr=E6.<br>
oc st=F8t=E6 th=E6m alla sam=E6n. oc mal=E6 m=E6th st=E6rk =E6dyk=E6
oc lat=E6 .i. en<br>
legh=E6l. That =E6r h=E6rr=E6 sals=E6. oc =E6r goth et halft aar.<br>
I *think* I got it typed in correctly... and all email readers can<br>
handle ISO 8859-1 these days, can't they?<br>
technique, not as a cameline sauce. We got the recipe as an English
translation of a Latin original in "<font color=3D"#000000">An Old
Icelandic Medical Miscelleny", but I'm pretty sure it is the
same recipe. Below is what we have in the Miscellany; the word in the
title translated "Salt" is salsum in Latin, which I am told
is "salt" in classical Latin but "sauce" in
medieval Latin, so take your pick.</font></div>
whole set of related manuscripts: Rudolf Grewe, "An Early XIII
Century Northern-European Cookbook", in Proceedings of A
Conference on Current Research in Culinary History: Sources, Topics,
and Methods. Published by the Culinary Historians of Boston,
1986.</font></div>
 Icelandic p. 215/D1<br>
One shall take cloves and mace, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, ginger an
equal weight of each except cinnamon, of which there shall be just as
much as of all the others, and as much baked bread as all that has
been said above. And he shall cut it all together and grind it in
strong vinegar; and put it in a cask. That is their salt and it is
good for half a year.<br>
How to Make Use of the Salt Spoken of Above<br>
 Icelandic p. 215/D1<br>
When a man wants to use of this salt, he shall boil it in a pan over
coals without flame. Then he shall take venison of hart or roe and
carefully garnish with fat and roast it. And cut it up well burned;
and when the salt is cold than the meat shall be cut up therein with
a little salt. Then it can lie for three weeks. So a man may long
keep geese, ducks, and other game if he cuts them thin. This is the
best salt the gentry have. [end of original]</font><br>
cloves<x-tab>
</x-tab><x-tab>
</x-tab></font></div>
</x-tab><x-tab>
</x-tab></font></div>
</x-tab><x-tab>        </x-tab><br>
1 3/16 t pepper</font></div>
Grind cardamom and mix all spices together. (This quantity is 2 g of
all spices except the cinnamon, of which there is 10 g; it adds up to
3 1/2 T total.) To use, add 1 t of salt to the spice mixture, the
breadcrumbs and the vinegar, simmer it briefly, cool it, then mix it
in with your meat and close up the container.  This quantity
will preserve a 2 c container of cooked, sliced meat or fowl (1 to 1
1/2 lb).<br>
We tried this recipe in order to have a way of storing meat without
refrigeration for long events, such as Pennsic. In our experience,
meat preserved this way keeps several weeks without refrigeration; we
have done so repeatedly without health problems, but see warning
below. The meat tastes strongly of the vinegar and spices when you
rinse off the preserving mixture; we generally use the meat in
recipes that call for vinegar and then leave out the vinegar.<br>
Ordinary vinegar is 5%, which is just barely strong enough, so we
normally mix it with stronger vinegar ("75 grain" or 7.5%) from a
gourmet food store.</font></div>
dangerous; if you experiment with this recipe, be careful. According
to our researches, either using vinegar of at least 5% acidity or
boiling for 15 minutes before eating will protect you from botulism;
we strongly advise doing both. We take no responsibility for the
result of trying this recipe; before doing so, you may want to read
up on methods and hazards of preserving food.</font></div>
Cook</font></div>