SC - Weird but Cool Kitchen Gadgets

BaronessaIlaria@aol.com BaronessaIlaria at aol.com
Thu Apr 26 03:02:28 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:
>In our barony, we've made a great number of wooden serving trays by
>taking plywood and edging it with wooden molding and then finishing that
>with a protective finish. And we have a huge number of the cheap, pressed
>wooden bowls made of the thin slices of wood. We also have a bunch of
>metal pitchers. We recently added to these and considered going with
>some plastic ones that looked like lead crystal or ones that were pottery,
>but decided their extra cost and fragility weren't worth it. We also
>recently added a bunch more large ladles. I think we were planning on
>reworking the handles, for the the ones with real long handles came
>with helmet sized bowls, while the ones with reasonable serving size
>bowls came with short handles.

Cheez, youse guys OWN your own serving stuff???!!! You're livin' in
the lap o' luxury, sheesh.

We scrounge around for whatever we can find. Wouldn't know what to do
with stuff even if we owned it.

There's no central anything around here. We're laid back around here,
we just go with the flow. You usually can't tell the dukes from the
newbies - errr, i don't mean that the way it sounds - i mean, many of
our royalty just look and act like regular folks - some have to be
almost forced to wear their crowns, once they aren't K&Q or P&P
anymore, and most of them don't dress any better than the masses,
well, except maybe when they were on the throne, but, well, gee, am i
digging myself into a hole... back to the subject...

I bought a bunch of stuff when i cooked the Boar Hunt - oven
thermometer, meat thermometer, little ramekins that look ceramic for
salt cellars, shakers for applying the necessary dusting of spices or
sugar on dishes as they leave kitchen, all kinds of junk, packs of
foil, and big "baggies" for left overs - not there there was much
other than the rice and frumenty...

I still have all this stuff for the next Boar Hunt. This is a
Province level feast - i don't know if our Province is smaller than a
Barony... I know the Province of the Mists includes a few hundred
people, don't know the exact numbers.

I'd be glad if i had aluminum platters for serving - lots of times
stuff just comes out of the kitchen in the ugly modern disposable
crimped aluminum pans they were baked in.

I guess around here we appreciate masses of period food and don't
worry about appearances.

Anahita