SC - Re: Wild "Onions"

ruadh ruadh at home.com
Thu Apr 26 09:21:04 PDT 2001

>lilinah at earthlink.net writes:
>
> > It isn't anything that is added to the pineapple. It is something
>natural
>in the
> > pineapple and kiwi.
>
>That's the info I have been given on trips to Hawaii as well. Their
>reccommendation was to sprinkle a little Hawaiian salt on it - something in
>the dirt perhaps? - and it does stop the effect. We keep cut up pineapples
>in
>the fridge now on every trip and nibble on it day after day without
>problems.
>
>Ilaria

When I lived in Hawaii we ate a lot of fresh pineapple and coconut.  The
colour of pineapple is different on the inside, the texture, and the taste
too.  They used to say that one could get a job picking pineapple if you
could still stand up and walk after putting on 70lbs of protective clothing.
  Pineapple plants are VERY unfriendly.  Going by pineapple fields at
harvest time would make you sick from the smell of ripe, over-ripe and
rotting pineapple.  The pineapple in the States is not nearly as good and I
also have that whole mouth deal with imported pineapple.