SC - Servers eating free

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 26 14:02:55 PDT 2001

In "A Book of Middle Eastern Food", the author (whose
name escapes me, and I am at work, so cannot check)
tells of a "traditional" table, in which guests are
seated and do serve themselves from communal
bowls/platters/whatever.  In fact, she goes on to list
a number of etiquette do's and don'ts.  How old is
"traditional" in this case?  I cannot say.  However, I
believe some of these etiquette rules are written in
the Qouran (sp?)  which indicates they are from
antiquity.

So, at least in middle eastern culture, it appears
"family style" may have not only been done in period,
but was popular as well.  There are others on this
list who have studied more period cookbooks, and have
conducted more research than I have on the matter.
They may chime in on the subject, and help to
illuminate us...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."