SC - Re: Wierd but Cool Kitchen Gadgets

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Apr 26 16:49:22 PDT 2001

>Hi all.  I cann't find the recipe for fried spinach that was posted
>on the list a couple of months ago.  I looked in the Flori-thingy
>and didn't find it there either.
>
>HELP!!  Someone please repost the recipe please.
>
>Olwen the disorganized

Isfanakh Mutajjan
al-Baghdadi p. 206/12

Original
Take spinach, cut off the [lower] roots, and wash: then boil lightly
in salt and water and dry. Heat sesame-oil, drop in the spinach, and
stir until fragrant. Chop up a little garlic, and add. Sprinkle with
fine-ground cumin, coriander seed, and cinnamon: then remove.

My version
1 lb spinach, chopped [i use frozen, chopped for camping events]
1/3 c cold pressed sesame oil (NOT Asian roasted), or olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or smashed
1/2 tsp. ground cumin seed
1/2 tsp. ground coriander seed
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt

1. Put a heavy shallow pan on the heat. Add oil.

2. When warm, add chopped spinach, stirring until wilted.

3. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and salt. You may also
want to add some ground pepper, i usually do. The cumin should
predominate, of the spices.

4. The consistency of the dish should be a bit unctuous: not too
oily, but it should have a nice glossy sheen and a smooth mouth feel.

It is possible that the green used was not spinach as we know it, but
something a bit tougher. I think they use chard in Morocco, where i
ate this dish in a Fez Palace restaurant in December 2000.

If you are using spinach, you don't need to boil it. Just put it in a
metal colander and pour boiling water over it, letting the water run
off into the sink. Then cook the spinach with the seasoning. Or don't
bother to par-boil - spinach cooks fast.