SC - In need of a documented Rant on "highly spided spoiled food "

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Apr 27 09:16:01 PDT 2001

>>Hi all.  I cann't find the recipe for fried spinach that was posted
>>on the list a couple of months ago.  I looked in the Flori-thingy
>>and didn't find it there either.
>>
>>HELP!!  Someone please repost the recipe please.
>>
>>Olwen the disorganized

Oops, the disclaimers got snipped off as i was cutting and pasting.

One: I *believe* that Isfanakh Mutajjan, below, was the recipe
posted. I don't seem to have saved the message. However, if it was
something new and different i definitely would have saved it. So i
think this is the recipe you want, but can't guarantee it.

>Isfanakh Mutajjan
>al-Baghdadi p. 206/12
>
>Original
>Take spinach, cut off the [lower] roots, and wash: then boil lightly
>in salt and water and dry. Heat sesame-oil, drop in the spinach, and
>stir until fragrant. Chop up a little garlic, and add. Sprinkle with
>fine-ground cumin, coriander seed, and cinnamon: then remove.

Two: Below is my redaction. Chances are if the original post was for
Isfanakh Mutajjan, then it included Lord Cariadoc's redaction. The
first time i made the recipe, that is what i used and found it bland,
dare i say grossly underseasoned, to my taste. I added both more oil
and more spices. I can assure you that it is not "overspiced", just
nicely seasoned.

>My version
>1 lb spinach, chopped [i use frozen, chopped for camping events]
>1/3 c cold pressed sesame oil (NOT Asian roasted), or olive oil
>3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or smashed
>1/2 tsp. ground cumin seed
>1/2 tsp. ground coriander seed
>1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
>1/4 tsp. salt
>
>1. Put a heavy shallow pan on the heat. Add oil.
>
>2. When warm, add chopped spinach, stirring until wilted.
>
>3. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and salt. You may also
>want to add some ground pepper, i usually do. The cumin should
>predominate, of the spices.
>
>4. The consistency of the dish should be a bit unctuous: not too
>oily, but it should have a nice glossy sheen and a smooth mouth feel.
>
>It is possible that the green used was not spinach as we know it,
>but something a bit tougher. I think they use chard in Morocco,
>where i ate this dish in a Fez Palace restaurant in December 2000.
>
>If you are using spinach, you don't need to boil it. Just put it in
>a metal colander and pour boiling water over it, letting the water
>run off into the sink. Then cook the spinach with the seasoning. Or
>don't bother to par-boil - spinach cooks fast.

I have served this at the Crown Tourney period potlucks of the Shire
i camp with and it gets eaten up.

Anahita