SC - Irish triad on Food

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 27 11:31:16 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Hej!    I am on another reenactment groups list as well as the several SCAdian ones.  Recently the discussion turned to food & someone sang the tired old song about using spices to hide the flavor of spoiled meat.  I need some documentation to back me up.  Does any one have a good caned rant on the subject that sites period sources?

Put a chicken breast on your back porch, in pastic, for a couple of days.  take it to the people making the claims, along with copious quatitites of medieval spices and herbs.  Open it up and ask how much spice they think it will take for them to be willing to eat it  . . . some will gag, and couple might get physically sick feeling.  Poignant illustration that no amount of spice can make one choke down rotten meat . . . let alone keep it down.

niccolo difrancesco