SC - Roweny Festival

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 27 13:52:49 PDT 2001

The 125 lbs is the amount of sugar of all types sold in the U.S. in 1984.
In 1998 this figure was 156 lbs per person.  And in May, 2000, it was
reported by the Center for Science in the Public Interest that the figure
was 158 lbs per person.   These figures are probably derived from U.S. Dept.
of Agriculture gross sales reports.

http://www.findarticles.com/m0813/7_26/55669615/p1/article.jhtml

The CSPI uses these figures to criticize the sugar industry for increased
consumption, which is reported in the newspapers and is probably the common
source for these figures.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/153/editorials/Sugar_coated_guidelines+.sh
tml

Which gets the FDA to consider sugar labeling.

http://www.cspinet.org/new/fda_sugarlabeling.html

And draws the response from the Sugar Association that the CSPI figures are
misleading and that even the CSPI report admits that, "The actual amount
people consume is considerably less."  SAI places sugar consumption at 64
lbs per person, based on a USDA study.

http://www.sugar.org/scoop/pressreleaseMay25.html

http://www.sugar.org/scoop/consumption.html

So take your pick.