SC - Re: Jellied Milk...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 27 19:36:01 PDT 2001

Solstice Studios wrote:

> > 125 pounds of sugar, PER PERSON, per year?????  Hell,
> > that would be 500 pounds of sugar used in my house
> > ALONE!  Not bloody likely, to be sure!  Maybe the
> > folks who put these stats together only interviewed
> > sugar junkies....
>
> Well, it gets averaged, really, over the listed population, but I believe it.
>
> For one thing, there are hidden sugars in foods-- sauces, dressings, prepackaged meals, breads, etc  even if they are not sweet, there is sugar hiding in it somewhere.
>
> Also, some people eat a lot more refined and obvious sugar than one would think, shall we say, healthy.
>
> I was sub-teaching a morning class at a local high school/jr high and the sugar being inhaled by these kids makes these figures look SMALL. In one hour I saw kids eat multiple pieces of cake/muffins, one or two pops (usually mountain dew), candy, and juices.  All of these items are blantantly full of sugar.  (and then we wonder why they fall asleep by second period... duh!)
>
> So you and I may be eating very little sugar, at least directly (didja ever look at a can of veggies or ketchup??) but its more than being made up for by the others....!
>
> -Aleska

And the truly frightening thing about this figure is not that the
average is so high, but that the extreme is sufficiently high to
overwhelm the mean (health food nuts, etc.). So, what must people be
eating to compensate for the fact that I, by no means a health food nut
but not a fan of sweets, either, have an average brought up from my 20
or 30 pounds (I'm guessing) to such an astonishing extent that the
_average_ could be 125 pounds. I'm envisioning somebody rather like T.H.
White's Morgan le Fay, lying there like some kind of monstrous
sugar-sucking larva.

Marcus Antoninus would not have approved, in spite of his well-developed
sense of humor in re physicians and varicose veins.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com