SC - Re: Sugar

rcmann4@earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 27 19:45:56 PDT 2001

"James R. May" wrote:

>          I think that a large portion of this figure would actually be
> diverted into products such as alcoholic beverages, baked goods, and other
> products where the sugar has been converted into something else.  I know
> that it has been many years since I last sat down to the sugar bowl with a
> spoon.
>
>          Jehan Yves

Alcoholic beverages may not count. One could argue that in at least some
cases, the sugar was consumed by yeasts, not by humans. I'd bet heavily
on soft drinks and sweetened cereal products, many of which have sugar
as the primary ingredient by mass. Some soft drinks will often use corn
and other syrups because they'll dissolve more easily than an equal
amount of sugar, which for some reason doesn't like to supersaturate solutions.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com