SC - Rowany Festival information

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 27 20:25:19 PDT 2001

> > Marcus Antoninus would not have approved, in spite of his well-developed
> > sense of humor in re physicians and varicose veins.
> > Adamantius

> On the subject of sugar, Ruperto de Nola had this to say:
> "and with this pottage, there is no need to cast sugar upon the dishes;
> however, sugar never harms the food; and the excellence is in this, that
> each one does according to his taste."
> Lady Brighid ni Chiarain

	Therin lies the rub.  If we were still using sugar in medicinal amounts,
there would be nothing wrong with it.  But at 158 pounds per capita, we are
starting to approach the 600 pound equivalents that they fed in cyclamates
to the rats in the 60's.  I said then and still believe, if you eat that
much of any substance, you will end up with some sort of health problems!  A
pinch or sprinkling, or the use of sugar in the same quantities we would use
of cinnamon or nutmeg, would be fine for each one according to his taste.
Christianna