SC - Olwen's success

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Sun Apr 29 08:49:07 PDT 2001

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
> > And what is a good definition of a "tart", and I mean the food item.
>
> Aw, Stefan- you're no fun! ;-)
>
> I think of a tart as:
>
> *small
>
> *open-top (no top crust)
>
> *and fairly shallow
>
> Thought I'm sure someone else has a better definition (the GIANT
> dictionary of food is in the next room, but I'm too lazy to go look it
> up...)

Be that as it may, a tourte parmerienne, a.k.a. parmesan tart, a.k.a.
parmesan pie, as described in Thomas's Latin recipe, in Taillevent and
in a reelly reelly detailed dual account for meat and fish versions in
Chiquart, is a fairly massive layered dish of cooked poultry, fruit,
custard, pork, cheese, and various other delicacies layered in a large
covered pie. Sometimes the layers are separated with pastry, sometimes
with wafers inside the pie. I think of them as being about the size and
shape of a hatbox. I could be wrong about that, though.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com