SC - Looking for a Turkey receipe

CalicoJim1@aol.com CalicoJim1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 29 15:06:15 PDT 2001

- --- Solstice Studios <solstice at moscow.com> wrote:
> I am experimenting with hyogurt cheese for th first
> time ever. Hanging out on this board is getting me
> tooooo excited :)  I have started with a large
> container of non -nonfat plain yogurt. I put it in
> two layers of cheese cloth and in a strainer
> overnight in fridge.
>
> Now, I am wondering if anyone else here has played
> with what must be a introductory and basic cheese
> making method that I am just now getting into :)  I
> am wondering what sort of spices and uses folks like
> to do with this cheese, different lengths of letting
> it sit, spice before or after?, and what sort of
> recipes are used for it. Sorry if this is too basic
> for the experienced folks here.
>
> -Aleska

While being far from actual cheese making, this is a
great first step, and is almost fool proof.  You will
be delighted with your first batch, I am sure.

I have made this on countless occasions, and have
always had great succes with it.  I usually let it
sit, in the refrigerator, at least 24 hours, and have
even let it drain for 10 days.  The former gives you a
cheese very much like a creamy ricotta, while the
latter will give you a denser, drier
consistency...almost crumbly.

My favorite herbs and spices to add are fairly
simple...fresh basil, mint and rosemary...sometimes
garlic, though not often... orange oil or
extract...and freshly cracked black pepper.  Be
careful on the last one, though, as it tends to create
a flavor in the cheese very much like raw beef...I'm
not certain why this happens, and it could be
particular to my tastebuds :)

I use the cheese in a number of ways, as well...as a
basis for blintz... as filling for canolli...in place
of sour cream on any number of dishes (especially Beef
Stroganoff)...as a topping for canape or
bruschetta...and even as a stuffing for light,
pristine Sole.

As for when to put in the flavorings, it varies.  I
prefer to put fresh herbs in with the yoghurt prior to
draining, and mix spices and extracts/oils in after it
has thickened somewhat.

Once you have made this a few times, you might try
draining it for about a week, and then pressing it
into muffin tins (or a cake tin).  Weight it for
another three days...then roll it in rock salt to
cover it...wrap it in cheesecloth...and age it in the
fridge for another week.  It comes out tasting very
much like a slightly drier Feta Cheese.  Very nice in
a salad, or over plain cooked pasta with olive oil and
fresh herbs.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."