SC - yogurt Cheese 101?

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 09:09:24 PDT 2001

> I have to agree with this, with the caveat that most
> dried herbs and nearly all spices be kept nearly
> air-tight during this extended storage time.  The
> volatile oils, which usually are the essence of the
> herb or spice, disintegrate upon contact with air, and
> if kept for that length of time, unless, as Ras has
> said, properly stored, they will lose their fragrance
> and flavoring properties.  Some of the harder spices,
> such as the various peppers,nutmegs and cloves, when
> left whole, can survive a good long time on the
> average pantry shelf.  Seeds and pods, also, can
> maintain a degree of volatility when stored
> haphazardly.  However, it is always best to keep them
> as far removed from air, heat and sunlight as
> possible.

The shelf life of powdered ginger is, as far as I can tell, the shortest-- at about 6
months, even in a closely stoppered container. (Orris Root does not count, unless you
cook with it.) Herbs have a shelf life of up to 2 years in my opinion. The harder spices
when kept whole have a much longer shelf life, 3-5 years, even if bought from cheap
sources that probably have had their supplies in storage for quite some time. As a
general rule, the harder it is to grind, the longer it keeps when whole.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net