SC - Re: Jellied Milk...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 30 09:25:27 PDT 2001

It was great!  The weather was beautiful.  Warm, not humid, breezy.

The Ironchef competition was truly amazing. We had four teams compete.
They were in my eyes (and tastebuds) all winners that day.  Yes, the secret
ingredient was saffron - spanish import.  Someone said too easy - well yes
and no.  Saffron can be tricky - too much and you overwhelm the other
flavors (and this stuff was last fall's crop - really really fresh).  The Grimfells
team came up with eight dishes - six of which were documented to specific
14th c. recipes.   The Mag Mor team did an argent and or (white and gold)
theme, they also brought their portable period domed oven - just like the ones
presented in some german woodcuts, where they have the portable ovens
on wheelbarrow-like contraptions.   The bread and pie they baked in that
oven where truly great.

Katrei's team made the best Great Game Pie I have ever tasted.  And they
carved an excellent calentrava (cross of Calontir) on it and painted the top
a beautiful golden yellow color.  It was huge.  The dish could have served
20 people easily. The Ioweigans made a superb salmon soup dish.

Two of the teams churned their own butter on site.  The only dish that
was repeated was a custard-like tarte.  But each team managed to put
their own spin on that.  Wonderful.  I think that between the four teams
we had 26 - 28 items that were made in the three hours of cooking time
they were given.

Malaak did a wonderful job of presenting the surprise ingredient.  And, I
think, all the teams were surprised at the choice of ingredient.

The first 10 to 20 minutes after the competition started the teams all crowded
around their leaders and leafed through the books they had brought on
14th century cookery.  Then, off went the runners for each team to the
grocery store.  I stepped over several times to "stir the pot" by announcing
how much time had passed and how much more was left.

Many many people wandered over to taste test the results during the
competition and during the judging, and immediately following the judging.
Her Majesty even managed to make it over for a few minutes to sample
some of each team's cooking.  Each of the teams got to taste the other's
results also.

The judges were slightly upset that I was making them vote up or down
and not allowing them to grade the entries on a scale.  But they all seemed
to be much impressed by the food presented.  I didn't envy them their job,
and I was glad to have talked Malaak into sitting in on the judging - so that
I wouldn't have to. (big ole smile),  They fell into their roles naturally.  One
person saying that she normally doesn't like this or that, but that the entry
she was trying was really really good. Another pontificated on the texture,
the taste, the aroma. We had two gigglers who exclaimed over everything
and we had one person who said they didn't know a thing about cooking
but that the food was really really good.

Each team could receive up to a maximum of 20 points for their entry.
No team received 20. The winning team received 17 points.  The votes up
and down were on appearance/presentation, flavor, aroma, and judges
discretion.

And, I want everyone to know that the only evil I perpetuated was that I
hadn't made up my mind as to what the secret ingredient was going to be.
I knew what I wanted for the ingredient as soon as it was announced that
the competition would be limited to 14th C. English cookery.  I did not share
what the secret ingredient was going to be with anyone until a few minutes
before it's presentation when I let Malaak know so that he could come up
with a suitably dramatic speech about the ingredient.

The winning team members were awarded a hand-cast pewter medallion
made in the shape of wok, with raised lettering "IRON CHEF curved around
the outside edge and a roman numeral one in the center.  The medallions
were made by a gentleman who had moved to Mag Mor from Atlantia.  His
name starts with a G, and he is apprenticed to Master T.K.

I'm hoping that we can convince a group to allow us to host another
Ironchef competition this fall at their event.  I received several great
suggestions on what to use for a surprise ingredient for the next one.  And
now that we have one under our belt, I think we can all relax and breathe
just a little easier.

In talking with several members of a couple of the teams, I believe the guild-
sponsored Ironchef competition format will not be changed.  This will
disallow the results being used for feasts.  We want to keep this in the fun
range for novice and less-experienced cooks in our kingdom - and having
the added pressure of cooking large portions would eliminate some of the
fun for many.

Kateryn de Develyn
Guildhead - Calontir Cookery Guild

Watch our webpages - An event report by Mistress Tatiana, menus, and photos
coming soon.  www.geocities.com/athens/acropolis/4756/cguildh.htm
or link off the Calontir pages under guilds/associations.