SC - Re: Sugar

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 10:04:45 PDT 2001

- --- Ann <sheltons at conterra.com> wrote:
> AARRGGHH!!!  Be grateful I skipped the parts about
> the necessity of emetics
> in the feeding frenzy!  I'll never be mistaken for a
> Medieval scholar, but I
> have read Platina, the Regimen Sanitatis, and a
> couple of the books on
> manners, and I don't remember anything on "binging
> and purging" being part
> of the recommended daily routine

Well, the excesses of the Greeks and Romans seem to be
fairly well known... and the need for a "vomitorium"
speaks volumes.  Were these excesses based upon fact,
or are they a modern assumption based upon a cursory
reading of the more bawdy tales of the day?  I can't
say for certain.  Did this practice of over-indulgence
cross the temporal borders from antiquity to the
Middle Ages?  I don't think so, personally.  At least,
not as often as the author in question would have us
believe.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."