SC - Lefske and Lutefisk Recipes?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 2 18:48:14 PDT 2001

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir wrote:

> Adamantius wrote:
>
> >(these appear to be, in turn, nearly identical to Swedish lompe recipes,
> >except perhaps in size and scored texture; the ones I've made with
> >Norwegian-American friends are made with potatoes, salt, flour, and oil
> only).
>
> Lefse can actually be a lot of things. I've got a regional Norwegian
> cookbook that has something like 15 very widely differing lefse recipes.
> Only three or four include potatoes. Some are sweet, some are flavored with
> cardamom; some use no fat at all, others use quite a lot of butter or
> margarine; ome are made of wheat flour only, others use a mixture of wheat
> and rye. Some are baked in an oven, others are fried.

Yes, I realize that lefse come in all types (there's a lovely one in
Luard's "The Old World Kitchen", IIRC, which is made from several grains
and potatoes, designed to be dried and reconstituted in a damp towel
like knackebrot), but Americans making fun of lefse tend to be referring
to the potato variety ;  ). I expect there are non-potato variants on
Swedish lompe, too.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy