SC - Reverse documentation (Was Cucumbers and the SCA)

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Fri Apr 6 05:05:36 PDT 2001

In a message dated 4/6/2001 3:42:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

> The focal point of the SCA is Europe, although not exclusively
>  Europe. The main premise is not, did it exist anywhere in the world,
>  but (1) is it likely to have been used in Europe before 1601, and (2)
>  would this item have been known about/used by my persona or by a
>  particular culture at a specific time.

Whenever this thread comes up I'm reminded of the young Lady who wanted me to
help her document her Kailua. It was delightful to taste... but my analysis
was "Weeeelll, You're probably safe on the alcohol, MAYBE the coffee beans
and chocolate,  late period.... and the upper classes knew about vanilla LATE
period... now how did the three get together conceivably in period?"

Needless to say, she was somewhat underwhelmed....

It's just better all around to research your sources first. Primary if you
can get them, secondary (with suspicion) if you must. Look first.

Corwyn

We need justice. We need toleration, honesty and moral courage. These are
modern virtues without which we cannot hope to control the forces science has
let loose among us. --I.A.R. Wylie