SC - Indonesian style Spiced Peanuts - OP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 6 13:48:28 PDT 2001

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Because they would use kecap asin (salty soy sauce) to make this,
> which is like "regular" soy sauce. Kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) is
> more often used as a dip. Off the top of my head i can't think of
> recipes that use kecap manis to cook with. It's usually used uncooked.

Actually, it makes a truly nifty fried rice...

> The reason i say Japanese soy sauce is that is what i used when i
> worked up the recipe in the US. I never made these while i lived in
> Indonesia. Some Chinese soy sauces i've had taste like they're made
> with "hydrolized vegetable protein" rather than fermented soy beans,
> so i've tended to avoid them. My problem.

There's a HUGE range of quality in Chinese soy sauces; your bad
experience may simply have been bad luck and exposure to bad products.

> Kecap asin, IIRC and it's been about 20-1/2 years since i lived in
> Indonesia, tastes somewhere between Japanese and Chinese soy sauces
> i've had. So use kecap asin if you can find it, or experiment with a
> blend of Japanese and Chinese soy sauce.
>
> >Adamantius (who has become fond of the fermented bean curd roasted peanuts)
>
> Ok, make with the recipe, please.

Umm, can't do that. As far as I know, it's a commercial product, with
the peanuts soaked either in fermented bean curd, a.k.a. fu yee, fu
ngoi, fermented bean cake, and a plethora of other names applied to a
jar of little cubes of fermented bean curd in brine, vaguely resembling
Camembert in flavor, texture, and aroma. Or else the peanuts (still in
their papery skins) are soaked in some kind of bean curd essence before
roasting. (Those of you who wish to tell me bean curd has no flavor and
therefore that bean curd essence has no meaning, meet me out back, no
rules, no holds barred, bare knuckles, to the first plotz... .)

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com