SC - Cordials

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Tue Apr 10 13:11:53 PDT 2001

I'm sorry that there is such a strong opinion against cordials. There is a
Laurel in the Middle Kingdom who is writing a book on the various types of
historical liqeurs, cordials, syrups, etc. (I want to say that her name is
Mistress Crystal of W?????, but the memory is failing me a lot today).

Personally I find it rather incredible that no one has *ever* found evidence
of combining flavored sugar syrups with alcohol (or vinegar) throughout
history ;).

Aoife, ducking for cover, 'cause the brewers in her kingdom are just as
strict as the cooks......

It has been opined on the list:
> I was rather surprised when there was a class on cordials
> offered by a peer that features a recipe from a modern
> magazine - Ladies Home Journal or something.  Now, the
> cordial wasn't bad, but , um, splutter splutter, do we
> really want that sort of thing taught at an A&S?
And A learned lady replied:
I believe the standards of strictness among the brewers are a bit
different than those among the cooks.