SC - rice / squash feast - help!!

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Apr 10 13:09:04 PDT 2001

> The suggestions about rice have all been good.  I particularly like the
> risi-bisi, which is easy to make on site (with a modification of David's
> preparation method) and my suggestion of rice pudding which can be prepared
> in advance and served hot or cold.  The rice pudding contains milk and
> sugar, so it may not be suitable for diabetics.

Note that it also doesn't fill the same position in the modern person's
conception of the meal as the rice with mushroom soup. The rice with
mushroom soup is, to modern mundanes, a starch side dish. To modern
mundane taste, rice pudding is a desert (and to a good many people,
something one eats at the homes of older relatives only.)

> If you are after a soup, try a brodo of chickpeas.  You can find the recipe
> in the Florilegium.  It is suitable for vegetarians, is unusual enough to be
> interesting and tasty enough that people often find they like it.

I tried to make this as a soup a while back. We found that only when
almost all the liquid had boiled away was it a palatable side-dish. What's
the secret to making it as a soup?

> Margali's suggestions about desserts make sense.  I would probably prefer
> the pears in wine sauce, because it avoids dairy products, making the dish
> edible to people with another common group of allergies.

However, it's going to be an issue to those who don't consume alcohol, so
if you have a lot of those people or people who wouldn't want their kids
to eat something that still tastes of wine, it may be another conflict.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"He cooks eternally, imperturbably, suspended in the chaos of which the
Master interprets the meaning..." Kipling, "With the Night Mail"