OT - Re: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #3085

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Apr 11 09:20:08 PDT 2001

> Last time I made it, it came out as a rather thick applesauce, and was
> immediately dubbed to be one of the many medieval 'Calvin foods'- you
> know, the glop on Calvin's plate that he frequently has to beat into
> submission? You expect tentacles to come crawling out...

Speaking of glop, I encountered a dish of pears in syrup made for a competition recently.
The original recipe does not call for cutting, coring, or peeling the pears at all (in
fact, none of the pears in syrup type recipes I've seen call for coring the pear, which
is odd). The redactor had cored, peeled and cut the pears into small pieces and cooked it
for some time-- the amount of wine in her redaction was minimal. Someone else pointed out
that this recipe is usually done with pears peeled, cored and sliced in half, then cooked
quickly. It occured to me that that is the way modern pears in syrup are served, and so
we may be being overly influenced by 'tradition'. What do others think? (The redaction
was delicious but obviously somewhat similar to really chunky applesauce.)

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net