SC - garlic rapes

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 11:05:03 PDT 2001

Liadan wrote in response to me:

> At 09:22 AM 4/11/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >12th Night 2000, I served turnip chunks boiled in vegan yellow stock mix from
> >Whole Foods Market, and maybe a little garlic thrown in.  I'd made it as a
> >gesture to the vegetarian minority.  I'm not sure that the vegetarians
> even got
> >any.  I know very little of it was left over.  Deception?  Maybe, but we told
> >the audience what it was and it's not our fault if they thought it was
> taters.
> >Education?  Surely.  Turnips can be your friends!
> >

> Please tell me a bit more about this. I have yet to find a turnip dish I
> will more than taste, much less enjoy.
>
> Liadan - NOT a picky eater, don't care for turnips, but I keep tasting

There is scarcely more to tell.  The period original said to boil turnips in fat
broth, so I went the lazy route and used a boullion mix.  I had the turnips peeled
and chopped into half-inch dice, mixed up the boullion to a strength I liked, then
dumped in the turnips and cooked until tender but not mushy, "al dente" you might
say.  Whole Foods sells the boullion in bulk, but the brand named G. Washington's
is probably very similar.  Next time, I may try this with their brown [beef-like]
boullion as well.

Selene